Third Sector New England
CONTACT: Apply here
TSNE (formerly Third Sector New England) (tsne.org) is a management support organization that partners every year with hundreds of nonprofits, foundations, community-based groups, and others working for social change. Our mission is to provide information and services to build the knowledge, power, and effectiveness of individuals, organizations, and groups that engage people in community and public life. The ultimate intention of our work is to create a more just and democratic society.
We assist a wide range of organizations in the social sector with a mix of management support and capacity building services in consulting, financial and grants management, business administration, human resources, compensation and benefits administration, professional development training and research in nonprofit fields of practice.
As a leading voice and capacity builder in the nonprofit sector, TSNE is committed to learning and building our practices and values around diversity, inclusion and equity, and working in a culturally proficient way with our staff and the organizations and communities we serve. We actively cultivate a work environment that values the experiences of individuals in an open-minded and collaborative atmosphere.
The Senior Accountant manages the general accounting operations of several Fiscally Sponsored Organizations (FSOs) in collaboration with the accounting team. This position reviews, analyzes and audits accounting transactions, reports and forecasts for validity, as well as troubleshooting.
- Review and approve adjusting entries proposed by staff, ensure proper documentation and the validity of entry.
- Review reports to identify and correct problems with allocations;
- Complete account reconciliation on the general ledger;
- Perform monthly, quarterly and annual review on various balance sheet and income statement accounts.
- Take the lead on researching and prepare adjusting journal entries.
- Process ACH and wire payments.
- Assist with external audit requests, help prepare documentation and back up.
- Assist in running allocations.
- Manage requests from iCIMS to setup new users in Concur.
- Maintain Concur users (address change, terminations).
- Maintain FSOs’ information (address change, chart of account setup, workflow changes).
- Ensure workflow is functioning properly.
- Assist Grants and Finance Administrators with Concur setup inquiries.
- Process credit card requests and set-up online bank access for new users.
- Process credit card reconciliations for approximately 200 credit card holders.
- Send email reminders to TSNE credit card holders bimonthly.
- Assist in TSNE credit card troubleshooting.
- Schedule and provide TSNE credit card training for new credit card holders.
- Assist Grants & Finance Associates with credit card inquiries.
Research & Education
- Be a resource to staff on technical accounting issues.
- Research and present accounting topics to internal staff.
- Help to create and maintain training materials.
Complete other tasks and projects related to the job, as needed.
We will consider exceptional candidates who demonstrate a strong combination of the specific qualifications and skills described below.
- Minimum five years of progressive accounting experience with an understanding of all types of accounting transactions;
- BA/BS degree in accounting or business, or equivalent experience required;
- Strong knowledge of all nonprofit functional accounting areas required;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Demonstrated experience developing and delivering accounting related trainings
- Ability to research and troubleshoot problems;
- Experience creating financial reports;
- Federal fund experience desired;
- Demonstrated track record proactively researching and resolving accounting inconsistencies;
- Proficiency with accounting software and Microsoft Office;
- Attention to detail;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to function independently and work as part of a team;
- Commitment to the work of social and economic justice organizations;
- Ability to work effectively with people of different cultural backgrounds;
- Experience training a plus.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those for this position. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. Work is performed in an office environment and in close proximity to other workers.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to:
- Handle, or feel objects, tools or controls;
- Reach; traverse; sit (usually for longer periods of time); occasionally ascend/descend; and position self (to) move;
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate;
- Job is not subject to significant occupational or environmental hazards;
- Likelihood of personal injury would be relatively slight;
- Environmental and work hazards are not present to a measurable degree.
Compensation and Benefits
Location: Work will be primarily performed between our main office (89 South St. Boston, MA 02111) and your home offiCe.
Compensation: The starting salary for this position is $70,000.00 and is commensurate with experience.
Benefits: This position is eligible for a full benefits package including:
- Generous Paid-Time-Off (PTO): 12 paid holidays, 3 weeks vacation, 1 week personal holiday, and sick time for full-time staff;
- 80% Employer-paid, $0 deductible Health Insurance through Harvard Pilgrim;
- Low-cost MetLife Dental and Vision;
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for Health and Dependent Care;
- Employer-paid Life, Long- and Short-Term Disability Insurance;
- Employer-paid Pension through TIAA;
- …and more!
TSNE envisions a society grounded in the principles of social and economic justice. As such, we strive to achieve excellence through a diverse and inclusive workplace that honors the unique talents and lived experiences of each person. Our vision and values are reflected in all our employment-related decisions, including hiring practices. Accordingly, TSNE actively seeks people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in our work.
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, veteran or disability status or any other factor prohibited by law.