UMASS Medical School
CONTACT: Apply Here
Under the general supervision of the Department Administrator or designee, the Financial Assistant – PMM is responsible for the preparation of fiscal reports related to grant and contract proposal budgets and the processing and review of all grant, contract and school fund expenditures.
- Central Asset Management – create a tracking inventory for all PMM assets to include location and related service contracts. Point person for any asset purchases and moves. Coordinate asset placement with annual space survey. Coordinate the disposal of any assets to include EH & S requirements.
- Financial Reporting – manage and analyze the monthly reports for PMM labs. Report and review with faculty administrative managers highlighting areas of concern and pulling any additional information needed.
- Service Contract Maintenance – create a database to track and manage all service contracts in multiple labs. Create a system by where all contracts are renewed timely allowing for pricing negotiation.
- Perform complex reconciliations to support the balances as reflected on the monthly balance sheets
- Develop, write, edit and maintain financial worksheets and/or reports on the computer system using appropriate software
- Review monthly account status and transaction printouts for accuracy; work with departmental Administrator and Principal Investigator to resolve problems and to aid in optimizing use of grant and contract funds. Upon expiration, finalizes all expenditures on a timely basis
- Resolve problems/questions relating to invoices with vendors and departments
- Prepare short and long-term contracts with agencies and individuals providing consultative services; process and track all invoices related to consulting contracts and purchases
- Generate monthly reports as directed showing budgets, expenses and reconciled balances in individual accounts and object codes.
- Communicate with supervisors and Principal Investigators regarding accounts; works with vendors and other departments, compile data for preparation of yearly budgets for department accounts, including payroll
- Research and process expenditure documents including personnel actions, travel authorizations, advances and vouchers, consulting contracts, purchase orders; ensures that all proper signatures are in place, and activity is in compliance with University and funding agency guidelines
- Purchase and approve invoices against these orders for equipment, books, and supplies
- Track and maintain records of equipment and capital purchases
- Assist with/back-up the preparation and processing of payroll and personnel documents for appointments, promotions, terminations and recruitment efforts. Maintains confidential personnel files. Monitors funding sources and expiration dates for all employees to ensure continuity of salary
- Assist with/back-up the pre-employment activity with Human Resources for incoming staff as directed.
- Serves as liaison between new and existing employees and appropriate Human Resources personnel on matters of payroll, leave time, and other employee benefits.
- Coordinate all aspects of any moves needed in support of PMM researchers.
- Backup for timesheet entry.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Associate’s degree in accounting, business or equivalent
- 5-7 years of progressive office or related experience
- Demonstrated ability to perform account reconciliation
- Demonstrated skill in the design and maintenance of spreadsheets, databases, or custom reports utilizing Excel
- Ability to interact knowledgeably with vendors/suppliers/contractors, co-workers, and senior personnel
- Skilled in resolution of problems that require considerable investigation, initiative, judgment, and discretion
- Ability to function independently, seek direction where appropriate, and demonstrate excellent and professional interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Excel at intermediate level
- Good communication skills are necessary to successfully work with multiple labs, staff and faculty.