State of CT Department of Transportation
CONTACT: Apply here
Plans office work flow and determines priorities; schedules, assigns, oversees and reviews work; establishes and maintains office procedures; provides staff training and assistance; conducts or assists in conducting performance evaluations; acts as liaison with other operating units, agencies and other officials regarding policies and procedures; prepares and analyzes complex financial statements and reports and budget requests; projects expenditures and assists in financial planning; maintains fiscal controls by authorizing non-routine expenditures; manages various phases of budget process; makes recommendations on policies and standards; oversees maintenance of accounting records; utilizes EDP systems for financial records, reports, and analyses; may oversee implementation and analysis of financial and administrative EDP applications; may oversee grant and contract administration; may oversee payroll; may perform complex purchasing tasks such as preparing specifications, soliciting bids and recommending contract awards; may oversee leasing functions including negotiating contracts and space requirements; may supervise support services such as stores, inventory, security, mailroom, food service or maintenance; may supervise payroll, purchasing and/or other fiscal and administrative functions; performs related duties as required.
Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of public administration with special reference to governmental budget management, governmental accounting, and payroll ; knowledge of grants and contracts preparation and administration; knowledge of purchasing principles and procedures; some knowledge of payroll practices and procedures; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable ability in preparation and analysis of financial and statistical reports; ability to understand and apply relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; ability to utilize EDP systems for financial management; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years of experience in a combination of fiscal administrative functions (e.g., accounting, accounts examining, budget management, grants administration, payroll, purchasing) at least one of which must be an accounting, budgeting, or payroll.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been at the professional working level of Fiscal/Administrative Officer, Accountant, or Payroll Officer 2.
Note: Connecticut Careers Trainee experience (target Fiscal/Administrative Officer or closely related class) is at the professional training level and is below the professional working level.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
- College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor’s degree.
- A Master’s degree in public administration, business administration or accounting may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- For State Employees experience as a Purchasing Services Officer 1 substitutes for the General and Special Experience on a year for year basis.
- Experience with enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems such as Core-CT, Oracle Cloud ERP, Microsoft Dynamics 365, or other similar system
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications
- Experience in a customer support environment
- Experience with Microsoft SharePoint environment
- Experience with Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) coding