State of Connecticut
CONTACT: Apply here
The Accounts Examiner will report to and work closely with the Contribution and Compliance Manager. Under the direction of the Contribution and Compliance Manager, this role will work with Authority staff, vendor partners, and other state agencies to perform the operations of the contribution collection system, as well as prepare financial reporting related to that system in order to achieve the goals and objectives of the Authority. Additional responsibilities include:
- Examines daily payment and cash files received, runs revenue reports for reconciliation, and reviews discrepancies
- Exports data from multiple programs to create high level payment analysis reports.
- Creates and maintains excel spreadsheets, utilizing macros, pivot tables, and VLOOKUPS to provide summary reporting
- Resolves returned items, research non-sufficient funds (NSF) payments, and applies NSF fee.
- Reconciles and balances contribution payments received via various payment methods to banking records, employer records, and accounting records ( daily, monthly, & annually to correct accounts as appropriate.
- Research unapplied and suspended contribution payments from employers, research nonpayment from employers, issues credits or refunds, answers questions about balances, reconciles suspense accounts.
- Examines employer contribution data issues; may interact directly with employers where necessary.
- Reviews underpayment and overpayments on accounts resulting in refunds and or bills for processing
- Monitors fund recovery and non-compliance case management queue by reviewing employer inquiries and examining payroll records.
- Utilizes EDP systems for the operating and financial summary reports as developed for the Authority at regular intervals as determined by the CEO, COO, and the Authority’s Board of Directors.
- Works at the Contribution and Compliance Manager’s direction to provide support for the Authority and the Trust Fund for all financial audits.
- Supports all contribution reconciliation and audit processes for the Authority and the Trust fund, in partnership with key interfacing agencies, partners, or third-party administrators.
- Audits employer registration information.
- Performs any related duties as required.
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been at the paraprofessional level. Work at the paraprofessional level requires the exercise of some independent judgment in applying basic accounting principles and may be compared to the level of a full charge bookkeeper.
NOTE: For state employees this experience is interpreted at the level of an Assistant Accountant.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
- College training in accounting or a closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor’s degree.
- A Master’s degree in accounting may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Certification in any of the following may be substituted for one (1) year of the General and Special Experience: Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor.
- Two (2) years of experience as an Assistant Accountant may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
- Experience using Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Experience in a complex financial environment
- Experience in accounts receivable in a community foundation, trust fund, or government agency
- Experience in identifying and recommending opportunities to improve reconciliation processes for operational efficiency and improvement opportunities
- Experience with Microsoft Excel including creating and developing spreadsheets, using macros, pivot tables, VLOOKUP, and importing and exporting data
- Experience using Mathematical and analytical skills
- Experience managing multiple (more than 1) assignments with orientation to detail
- Experience in banking with an understanding of Automated Clearing House (ACH), credit card, and payment processes
- Experience with Customer Relationship Management (CRM)