Tree Care Industry Association
CONTACT: PLEASE SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO EXECSEARCH@TCIA.ORG.
This position provides the successful candidate with an opportunity to be the visionary leader of the Tree Care Industry Association (TCIA). The President & CEO will work closely with the TCIA Board of Directors to achieve the mission and goals of this growing, vibrant trade association.
Founded in 1938, TCIA has been advancing tree care businesses for nearly 80 years. Established initially as the National Arborist Association, TCIA has expanded to be the de facto thought leader on safety, standards, policy and training for the arborist industry. TCIA has spent more than seven decades driving standards, publishing critical information, providing access to resources and training tree care professionals. The association’s current charter is to continue accelerating this exciting growth phase, expand its membership, improve industry safety and continue their focus on workforce development.
The President & CEO reports to the Board of Directors and leads a team of 45 TCIA employees, including supervisory responsibilities for eight managers. The position also sets and manages an annual budget in the range of $7 million. More than 2,300 companies are members of the TCIA.
This full-time position is based out of the TCIA headquarters in Londonderry, N.H.
These are the key areas of accountability for this important leadership role:
- Establish a strategic planning and implementation process with the members, committees, Board, and staff to set and achieve TCIA’s short and long term goals and objectives. Monitor the Association’s organizational structure to assess its effectiveness in achieving the mission through staffing, volunteer involvement, leadership, bylaws, policies, and procedures.
- Support and develop the TCIA staff through strong leadership and involvement in attracting, hiring, retaining, supervising, goal setting, motivating, and performance management.
- Assume responsibility for the financial well-being of TCIA by operating the Association within the IRS, FASB, auditors’, and nonprofit accounting principles for a 501 (c)(6) and (c)(3) association.
- Implement clear and consistent communication with staff, Board, volunteers, and members. Ensure a successful system of membership feedback to identify the needs and requirements of the diverse member firms and the development of programs that address them.
- Serve as the TCIA’s principal spokesperson and present a professional image for the industry while increasing the visibility and influence of the Association. Significantly increase membership levels through an aggressive marketing function.
- Direct and participate in appropriate lobbying, standard setting, and regulatory efforts at the federal, state, and local levels and coordinating this work with the Legislative and Regulatory Affairs Advisor, including the TCIA’s Voice for Trees Political Action Committee.
- Monitor the ongoing success of the TCIA’s publications: Tree Care Industry magazine; The Reporter membership newsletter; and The TreeWorker, a monthly technical newsletter. Develop future strategies for Association publications. Contribute content to the TCI Magazine and The Reporter by authoring 22 articles per year.
- Serve the betterment of the tree care industry through development activities and leadership roles, such as: oversee the Tree Care Industry Association Foundation (TCIAF) and spearhead fundraising for the Arborist Safety Training Institute.
- Oversee the growth and success of the TCIA’s key events and meetings and seek to continually improve the quality, content, and satisfaction level of those attending the Winter Management Conference, TCI EXPO trade show, and Legislative Conference.
- Drive ongoing adoption, awareness and quality of key educational programs, such as the TCIA’s Accreditation program, Certified Tree Care Safety Professional program, as well as establish new programs and career outreach opportunities that are consistent with the strategic plan.
- Partner with the TCIA Board to facilitate informed decision-making, effective policy and strategic decisions in the best interests of the TCIA and its mission. Advise the Board Chair, Vice Chair and the Nominations Committee of up and coming leaders appropriate for committee, task force, and Board position consideration.
- Remain current with the association profession by participation in association education programs, peer networking, and subscriptions to appropriate industry publications. Interface with other “green” organizations such as the ISA, SMA, UAA, ASCA, NALP, SUFC, ADF, etc.
- Excellent communication skills, including written, face-to-face, public speaking, and team leadership that inspires, motivates and engages
- Strong sense of urgency for goal achievement
- Excel at multi-tasking and handling a variety of activities on a regular basis
- Experience leading multiple stakeholders (members, directors, partners, co-workers), and developing professional relationships that contribute to a collaborative, results-driven culture
- Strong organizational skills, including a solid grasp on technology and social media.
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time for events, conferences, board meetings, fundraising and member outreach
- Demonstrated success managing a P&L for a business, non-profit or association, with more than 10 years of direct management experience
- Experience in the tree care (or related) industry a plus
- Curious, helpful, and team-oriented
- Bachelor’s degree required
Compensation commensurate with experience; salary plus incentives for association performance. Competitive health and other benefits available. Some relocation assistance may be considered as part of a compensation package.