Harvard University – Dept of Continuing Education
CONTACT: see more
The Division of Continuing Education (DCE) comprises several entities including the Harvard Extension School, the Harvard Summer School, the Harvard Professional Development Programs and the Harvard Institute for Learning in Retirement. For more than a century, Harvard Extension School has made Harvard faculty and teaching accessible to a diverse community of local, national, and international students. Harvard Extension School enrolls approximately 13,000 students per year in approximately 65 liberal arts and professional fields. More than 650 open enrollment online and classroom courses are offered at affordable prices to our communities across the world. Harvard Summer School offers approximately 300 courses on the Harvard Campus to 6,000 secondary school, college and adult learners and more than 30 international study abroad programs for up to 600 students each summer. The Division also includes the Harvard Institute for Learning in Retirement with approximately 550 active members and Harvard Professional Development Programs offering about 60 two-day, noncredit courses annually.
This position reports to the Assistant Director of Finance Planning and Analysis.
As part of the DCE Financial team the Financial Associate II is responsible for preparing reconciliations, processing journal entries, and issuing monthly financial reports. Prepares daily bank reconciliations, performing research to resolve discrepancies related to cash, check, and credit card payments. Researches and analyzes credit card chargeback issues with credit card companies and works with the Student Financial Services group and the MIS department to develop optimal systems to help minimize chargeback issues.
Prepares monthly, quarter-end, and year-end closing transactions including, pre-paid entries, accruals, and deferred revenue transactions. Performs complex calculations. Participates in the audit process with both Risk Management and External Auditors. Updates quarterly financials using HUBS and Smartview tools and distributes YTD results & forecasts to all departments within DCE. Works with various special programs to reconcile and recognize revenue as well as to provide invoices for billing purposes. Provides financial analysis to various DCE departments and partners with these departments to create budgets and forecasts, drive operational efficiencies, and drive revenue growth opportunities. Produces the DCE Year-End Financial binder by creating and updating financial reports and analysis. Performs other duties as required including work on special projects.
- An Associate’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business required.
- Five plus ( 5+) years of experience in accounting, reconciliations, and financial analysis.
- Computer competency requiring spreadsheet, and database software required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or similar area preferred.
- Ability to meet deadlines, excellent organizational skills, and strong attention to detail are a must.
- Excellent computer skills including Excel (including pivot tables and VLOOKUPS) and an aptitude for building and maintaining complex workbooks.
- Experience with Harvard financial systems preferred.
- Desire and aptitude to learn complex data query tools required .
- Demonstrated intellectual curiosity about Higher Ed (particularly Continuing Ed) will be a big plus.
- A positive customer service attitude and good communication skills are essential.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required.