University of Massachusetts President’s Office
CONTACT: Apply here
Under the direct supervision of the Payment Operations Manager, and general supervision of the Director of Cash Management, the Treasury Payment Specialist is responsible for the direct processing of the daily transactions that are required for, the accurate and timely, recording and disbursement of funds for the University. The University’s payment operations consist of multiple payment types and solutions, including, but not limited to: checks, ACH electronic fund transfers and Paymode EFT; virtual credit cards (ePayables); and mobile/digital disbursements (e.g. Zelle).
- Daily responsibilities include: customer service; running multiple pay cycles, including, but not limited to accounts payable (AP) disbursements, payment of student excess awards/refunds, and employee Payroll Deductions; AP and GL data entry; performing Restricted Party Screenings; reviewing and researching payments; payments and problem resolution; processing payment cancellations and reissues; processing cash receipts; reviewing, providing/producing copies of payments; approving/rejecting potential fraudulent payments, monitoring payment related email requests.
- Works continuously with the Payment Operations Manager and Director of Cash Management to improve current procedures, and develop new procedures, aimed at improving efficiency, accuracy, timeliness, and standardization; helps train new employees, assists co-workers.
- Work with banks, payment providers, Unified Procurement Services Team (UPST) and campuses on all types of payments, including follow-up on paid, purged, or outstanding checks.
- Access bank systems to process positive pay activity and provide copies of paid items.
- Research and work with the appropriate parties to address and resolve payment concerns and issues.
- Prepare and process forms for employee claims involving fraud and University check payments.
- Create and maintain a proper and efficient filing system.
- Process bank deposits via the Remote Deposit System Online (RDSO).
- Provide/produce payment data as needed to be used for analytics and reporting.
- Meet daily deadlines; review and quality check your work and others to ensure accuracy.
- Understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Must exercise judgment and discretion in applying and interpreting departmental and University policy and procedure.
- Must maintain a professional demeanor, make full use of working hours, and maintain harmonious relationships with co-workers, other University personnel, and outside contacts.
- Must be able to work independently on multiple tasks covering different functional topics.
- Must be able to plan and organize work while performing a variety of office functions.
- Assist in the implementation and update of written policies and procedures pertaining to all aspects of the University Cash Management function, including payment/distributions.
- Perform other duties as assigned and required, including in other functional areas of the Treasurer’s Office
- Associates Degree from an accredited institution in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Mathematics, Statistics or equivalent.
- Minimum of 3 years of payment operations or comparable experience.
- Knowledge of multiple payment types/solutions: check, ACH, digital disbursement and virtual credit cards.
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint Skills.
- Basic understanding of cash management and disbursements.
- Ability to simultaneously work on and complete multiple complex tasks.
- Ability to complete daily job responsibilities, accurately and on time.
- Knowledge of office procedures.
- Knowledge of computers and various business software applications.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Mathematics, Statistics or equivalent.
- Experience in banking is a plus.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft software.
- Knowledge of comprehensible payables (e.g. Paymode – X and ePayables).
- Knowledge of mobile and digital disbursements.
- Typical Office environment, with potential for some remote work.
- Primary work location is Shrewsbury, MA however; travel to all campuses may be required.
Salary range $48,000 to $58,000