Boston Financial Investment Management
CONTACT: Please apply directly through our Careers Page: http://bfim.com/careers.aspx
Boston Financial Investment Management, LP is one of the largest multi-family investment managers of low-income housing in the U.S. The firm specializes in low-income housing tax credit (LIHTC) investment syndication and asset management. Boston Financial is a wholly owned subsidiary of ORIX, USA.
The Portfolio Accounting Team is responsible for the quarterly and annual accounting, financial reporting and analysis of approximately 140 Funds/entities that invest in approximately 1,200 LIHTC properties. The Team is also responsible for the quarterly analysis of Fund cash reserve levels and the preparation of the annual tax return schedules for these Funds. The Portfolio Accounting Assistant Controller role includes training and managing others and preparing formal performance evaluations for Portfolio or Senior Portfolio Accountants.
Perform following functions for a very complex group of Funds and review the following functions performed by a Portfolio or Senior Portfolio Accountant for a less complex group of Funds:
- Independently research and analyze Fund transactions in order to review quarterly journal entries ensuring accuracy of classification and completeness.
- Review/compile quarterly and annual analyses of Fund general ledger accounts tying and reconciling all amounts to trial balance.
- Review/compile quarterly and annual report preparation work papers and related GAAP financial statements for Funds. Responsible for the consistency, content and format of all financial statements.
- Review/compile and analyze annual tax return schedules and tax trial balances for Funds. Interact directly with company’s Tax Team to resolve any accounting related issues.
- Primary contact to Fund auditors on any accounting and auditing issues.
- Assist the company’s Asset and Fund Managers as needed in resolving accounting and auditing issues that arise on property partnerships within Funds or with Fund investors.
- Analyze cash reserve levels in each Fund leading to a complete understanding of the past and future cash needs of each Fund.
- Gain complete understanding of how each Fund is structured to pay upfront and annual fees to Boston Financial; interact with Corporate Accounting as necessary.
- Independently perform accounting and audit projects across Funds to assist Team.
- Contribute to the completion of annual company and Team goals; work independently or as lead contributing to the completion of a goal.
- Contribute to the quality of the Team’s operations by improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the daily/monthly/quarterly accounting and reporting cycles and processes.
- Research and document GAAP and financial reporting policies.
- Assist in developing and documenting Boston Financial internal controls under SOX.
- Assist in refining internal control documentation and testing for Funds.
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative, deadline oriented, team-based, fast-paced environment required: pitching in wherever needed to achieve Team objectives.
- CPA required.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance or related discipline required.
- 5+ years of experience in accounting/finance field preferred.
- Financial statement preparation experience required.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills required.
- Detail orientation with the ability to manage multiple priorities without sacrificing quality or accuracy required.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office required, especially Excel.